Soophie Nun Squad-- Don't Let Them Take You Alive CD (Harlan Records #12)
Recorded (mostly) December 1997 by Barry Poynter in Little Rock, AR.
1000 copies pressed, March 1998.
Dustin Clark-- guitar
Mark Lierly-- drums
Mike Lierly-- voice
Eli Milholland-- bass
Nate Powell-- voice
Tim Scott-- voice, turntables
Mikael Wood-- voice
Maralie Armstrong-Rial-- backing voice
Emil Heiple-- backing voice
Ryan Seaton-- backing voice, kazoo solo in "Love Is A Frozen Fishstick"
Randie Young-- backing voice
Jenny Holt-- backing voice
Stewart Isbell-- beatbox assist on "Books"
2. Books! Check Em Out!
3. Swamp Thing
5. Crotchy Momma
8. Heart And Soul
9. Another Day
10. Hey Hey Margaret, Your Momma's Got A Cow
11. Push It
12. Point Of View
13. PJ Sod
14. Love Is A Frozen Fishstick
16. Shoe Song
* This album represents Soophie's third time in a proper studio, and we STILL hadn't really figured out we could overdub or do anything besides have a live party in the studio. These songs were basically recorded in 2 hours, and mixed down in another four. Our cheapskate brains simply couldn't fathom the benefits of spending more than one day in the studio.
* The banter at the end of "Shoe Song" is for real-- Mike hadn't grasped the concept of the studio fade-out, and is given an explanation on-record, but still doesn't quite trust the studio witchcraft.
* Dustin to engineer, while setting up equipment: "Uhh, Barry-- sooooo what happens if, let's say, somebody spilled a 64 oz. strawberry soda all over your floor?"
* En route to the studio for one of these sessions, Eli threw a bagel at a teenager mowing the lawn. A minute after arriving at Barry's, our car was boxed in by a Mustang driven by some adult with an undefined relationship to the kid. The dude started trying to intimidate us while we loaded our equipment in, but we quickly forgot about it. A few minutes later, Barry got reeeeaaaally nervous and pointed out that five cop cars were outside, questioning everyone about the "bagel-related hate crime". Barry hid in an underground bunker or tunnel until the police swarm had moved on. We were not in any way Barry's favorite band to record.
* Members also in Humanbeast, V Manuscript, Sand City, Universe, Pallbearer, R.I.O.T.S., The Evelyns, Divorce Chord, Wait, The Insides, Tem Eyos Ki, Sugar And The Raw, Rainy Day Regatta, Boomfancy, Gioteens, Shake Ray Turbine, Revolver Red, William Martyr 17, and K.
|SNS @ Vino's, Little Rock AR, December 1997. The night before recording this album. During this era, around 350 people would come to our Vino's shows, and we'd get paid around $150 and pizza. Split 10 ways.|
|SNS plays the last set of the final Rice Street house New Year's Eve party, moments before the entire kitchen floor caves in. Little Rock AR, December 1998. Photo by Ben Mistak.|