Soophie Nun Squad-- Passion Slays The Dragon LP (Harlan Records #25)
Order CD version from me here.
Recorded October 2002-May 2003 by Tim Scott at ElectricLeedyLand in Kansas City, MO.
First released in Europe on LP by Narshardaa Records, September 2003. (2 pressings, 700 copies)
LP released in North America by Harlan, January 2004. 1000 copies pressed on lavender trash vinyl (what a terrible idea-- glad the "trash" option isn't as common as it used to be!)
CD released by Plan-It-X Records, May 2004. (2 pressings, 2000 copies)
Maralie Armstrong-Rial-- voice, accordion, whistles
Dustin Clark-- guitar, voice, claps
Mark Lierly-- drums, percussion
Mike Lierly-- voice, snare, claps, acoustic guitar on "The Scab Fairy--Introduction"
Eli Milholland-- bass, voices of a cow and a monster
Mike Motley-- keyboard, piano, percussion
Asa Newell-- guitar
Nate Powell-- voice, claps, percussion
Tim Scott-- electronics, production, voice, piano, trombone, turntables
Alan Short-- percussion, voice, bass on "The Last Things First"
Mikael Wood-- voice, keyboard
Kristine Barrett-- voice, piano, and assistant engineering on "The Scab Fairy"
Terry Johnson-- voice on "Birthday Song"
Rymodee-- voice on "Birthday Song"
Grendel the Dog-- barks on "Exponents"
Dish-- backing voices in "Your Birthday Song", hallway samples in "D Hall"
1. The Last Things First
4. Sesame Sticks & Stevie Nicks
5. To Be A Hero
7. The Bovinity Of Crust
8. (An Instrumental)
9. D Hall
10. Wilson Phillips
11. Inner Booty
12. Lord Of The Dip
13. Your Birthday Song
14. The Scab Fairy: Prelude
15. The Scab Fairy: Introduction
16. The Scab Fairy: Complication
17. The Scab Fairy: Rising Action
18. The Scab Fairy: Climax
19. The Scab Fairy: Denouement
20. The Scab Fairy: La Triumphe De La Scab Faerie
21. Sleeping On Your Floor
* The all-powerful Assfactor 4 is sampled/bootlegged in "The Bovinity Of Crust", from a show I saw them play in Washington DC in October 1996 (the song is "Hey Stinky"). One of the greatest punk bands of all time-- I highly recommend seeking out all of their records, if you're unfamiliar!
* "To Be A Hero" is a Kirk & The Jerks cover, first heard on the incredible 1988 H-Street skate video Hokus Pokus.
* The first 100 copies of the European pressing of the LP (released by Narshardaa Records) have huge white squares surrounding the lettering on the cover, obscuring half of the cover art.
* Okay, here's why this album has so many different titles. When assembling the cover of Passion Slays The Dragon, I asked a friend to do the title lettering. In the spirit of both playful participation in the Soophie process and faux-intellectual anxiety about the word "passion" (seriously, what the fuck?!), she chose to rewrite the title as the homonym Passion, Sleighs, The Dragon for the European LP. I accepted this twist but didn't like it, and neither did anyone else. Tim Scott did the layout for the American version of the LP jacket, and secretly manipulated the title to read Pasizzle Slizzles Tha Drizzle, while labeling the spine Fleetwood Mac-- Rumours (a nod to our cover treatment of The Devil, The Metal... LP's) and Driggynizzle. None of us were aware of this until we received the proofs. As I fell deeper into a hole in life in early 2004 and couldn't "get real" for a while, I re-titled the CD version Pass Ion, Sleds, The Drag-On, while Tim labeled each side of the jewel case Lethal Weapon Original Motion Picture Soundtrack and Ghost Dad (Widescreen DVD) respectively. You would not believe how many stores and distributors got pissed off about this. I didn't even receive payment from some folks because they couldn't "find" the record in their system! Finally, for the 2nd pressing of the CD, Chris Clavin requested that we put our actual band name on the spine (very reasonable!), but color-blind Tim took it to the next level by having the spine in electric blue & orange text, intentionally making it unreadable and seizure-inducing.
* Soophie's last show was at Nexus in Braunschweig, Germany on June 21, 2006 with Tim's electronic band Orange Core. We attempted to have two final shows in Little Rock, May 19-20 2007-- one with Smoke Up Johnny as a part of Towncraft week, and the other with The Good Good, Erin Tobey, and Totally Michael in North Little Rock. Unfortunately, Mark had broken his wrists a few weeks prior, so neither show ever happened.
* Folks from SNS also in Humanbeast, V Manuscript, Bloodhuff, Sand City, Deadbird, Zucura, Holy Angell, Universe, Pallbearer, R.I.O.T.S., The Evelyns, Divorce Chord, Wait, The Insides, Tem Eyos Ki, Lily Maude Horseman, Sugar And The Raw, Big Boots, Rainy Day Regatta, Boomfancy, Gioteens, Shake Ray Turbine, Revolver Red, William Martyr 17, and K.
|SNS @ Kafe Kult. Munich, Germany, May 2006.|
|SNS @ Solidarity Infoshop. Lawrence KS, July 2005. Photo by Ginger Alford.|
|SNS before leaving on our final tour. Little Rock AR, May 2006. Photo by Sara Blancett.|